Welcome to another delicious episode of Two Catholic Guys!
It’s been a very long time since we last posted anything. We actually did record another episode, but enough time went by that it just made sense to do a fresh one and write it off as a loss. Enjoy this one! It has probably the best sound quality of any show we’ve ever recorded.
- 00:00: Adulting is hard, so we’re drinking OYO Rye Whiskey, barreling strength— AKA the best rubbing alcohol you’ve ever had™! Opening prayer.
- 02:10: Most ridiculous news item: Monopoly Man crashes Equifax hearing.
- 06:15: Catalonia wants its independence from Spain.
- 09:40: We discuss the Las Vegas Shooting, gun violence in America, the small amount of bipartisan agreement on bump stocks, and the large amount of disunity across party lines in America.
- 16:19: We discuss how many in the Church conflate voting for a given party to advance Catholic goals, and thinking of the platform of that party as identical to Church teaching. Meanwhile, Anthony has been working on reading all the encyclicals of Pope Leo XIII, and discusses Cum Multa, which touches on unity among Catholics in associations and the press. We give the example of the recent spat between LifeSiteNews and The New Pro-Life Movement. (Contrast that with what Bishop Barron says about being pro-life and pro-social justice.)
- 29:55: We provide an update on the contraception mandate.
- 32:27: We talk about the Marian apparitions in Fátima, Portugal, and specifically the upcoming 100 year anniversary of the Miracle of the Sun. Anthony talks about how this historical fact has impacted his family and their prayer life this year. He recommends a little book by a Dominican layperson. Pray the Rosary, do penance, and peace will come!
- 39:24: Brandon extends a challenge to Catholic musicians to write the “Song of the Summa” using quotes from St Thomas Aquinas. We discuss Scholasticism versus the more mystical approach of the Church Fathers and Eastern Christians. We touch on Nouvelle Théologie and its emphasis on ressourcement (going back to the sources). We mention representatives of the movement, including Karl Rahner and Joseph Ratzinger, contrast them to great Thomistic minds like Fulton Sheen and Robert Barron, and then somehow bring Augustine into the picture too.
- 46:07: We discuss the Great Szechuan Sauce Firestorm of 2017.
- 48:58: We dissect the latest trailer for The Last Jedi, the most important development of which is the existence of porgs. And lastly, Tycho Celchu is, and forever will be, greater than Poe Dameron.
Email us at: email@example.com