Hey everybody! Welcome to another astounding episode of Two Catholic Guys!
This episode’s Church Father is St Gregory the Great.
- 00:00: Greetings, what we’re drinking (…nothing), and opening prayer.
- 00:58: St Gregory the Great’s Letter to King Ethelbert
- 03:54: Most Ridiculous News Items: please stop peeing on Ulm Minster and [accidentally omitted] fart sets off fire during surgery.
- 06:15: how US votes break down by religion, Mexicans reshaping electoral map, early voting vs voting as a family, Trump has been catching up to Hillary.
- 09:40: October Surprise – FBI Director sends a letter, then another letter. What could it mean? We don’t know, but Glenn Beck is not happy.
- 14:24: the Cubs are doing pretty great [and won!], which they haven’t done since the Ottoman Empire was a thing.
- 15:05: to aid you in your voting, we link to the League of Women Voter’s Information Bulletin (for Columbus, OH); Kasich writes in McCain while Ryan votes for Trump; we also provide general thoughts on voting as Catholics first, the different types of candidates, voting for judges, and term limits.
- 23:27: Pope Francis goes to Sweden for an ecumenical commemoration (full text) of the Protestant Reformation.
- 25:53: the press still doesn’t understand that the Church cannot change doctrine; as per St John Paul II).
- 28:57: the book Ars moriendi has been reborn as a website, called The Art of Dying Well. We discuss preparing for other big moments, like marriage – Why not death?
- 32:28: Anthony and the family visited the Marshall Space Flight Center, and discovered an interesting artifact. We discuss Venerable Pope Pius XII, Saint John XXIII, and the long tradition of wondering (way too soon) when the Pope will die and what happens next.
- 35:18: new findings at Christ’s tomb (spoiler alert: it’s a tomb). What’s more important – that this is actually the tomb, or that it effectively symbolizes the tomb? Dr Jones, what’s your opinion?
- 38:11: Anthony has been doing a lot of reading: The Mystical Body of Christ, The Fathers Know Best, The Martian (and the movie), and I Burned for Your Peace. Does Matt Damon have what it takes to be the next Tom Hanks? We discuss which books most influenced us in our faith life: Anthony – Asking the Fathers, Mere Christianity, and El Valor Divino de lo Humano; Brandon – Summa Theologica, The Little Flowers of St Francis, and The Priest is Not His Own. And how do you read Augustine?
- 48:00: Simpsons movie 2 still a thing, celebrating World Smile Day®, who invented the smiley face, and how did the Pet Rock come to be? Did the guy really make a million dollars? And is Samir Nagheenanajar a real person?
- 52:38: Doctor Strange is out. We’re excited! Ditto for Sherlock series 4, which is coming next year.
Email us at: email@example.com