Happy New Year! Welcome to Two Catholic Guys. We hope you enjoy our first episode of 2017.
This time around, we’re taking a break from our usual topics and instead are discussing boardgames and sharing some exhortations we wrote with you. We hope you like the change!
- 00:00: Greetings and discussing the (Scotch) whiskey we just unboxed (Lost Distilleries Batch 8 Blend). Check out the unboxing video on our Facebook page. We also posted a few pictures to Facebook.
- 01:33: We’re doing something a little different this time around, because political fatigue. Instead, boardgames and exhortations!
- 02:44: Opening prayer.
- 03:33: Preamble to Brandon’s exhortation.
- 04:44: Brandon’s exhortation, entitled “Nice People, Awful People, and Mercy”. You can download Brandon’s exhortation here.
- 10:59: Praying into Brandon’s exhortation.
- 11:50: We discuss Venerable Fulton Sheen’s talk on Choice.
- 15:33: Resident Evil (deck building game) and that time Anthony played chess in Miami.
- 20:23: Pandemic (cooperative game) and general considerations about randomness in games.
- 23:05: Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game (AKA Anthony’s least favorite game / Brandon’s favorite game).
- 27:37: Airlines: Europe vs Ticket to Ride.
- 28:51: Bar Wars, Brandon’s deck building game.
- 30:16: Splendor (token + card game). Tabletop Game Cafe vs Kingmakers Board Game Parlour. Scrabble vs Bananagrams.
- 34:49: Followers of the Way, Anthony’s deck building game. Shoutout to the Catholic Geeks group on FB!
- 37:07: Boss Monster (dungeon building card game).
- 38:49: We discuss the movie we watched, Hot Fuzz, and the Every Frame a Painting episode about Edgar Wright (not Simon Pegg; my bad).
- 40:54: We discuss our favorite games of all time, and playing games with kids. We recommend Haba games like Here, Fishy, Fishy!. The kids also like Froggy Boogie and Bugsy (which I cannot find on Amazon). Anthony has also gotten into modding games like Card Wars and Splendor so younger kids can play them.
- 46:05: Preamble to Anthony’s exhortation.
- 46:50: Anthony’s exhortation, entitled “Priesthood and Fatherhood”, which you can download here. Heads-up, the volume shot up here for some reason.
- 54:15: Thanks for joining us!
Click here to download the podcast.
Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
April was a busy month and we didn’t get a chance to record. Here are some of the things we would have discussed in our hypothetical fifth episode. Enjoy.
- Mother Angelica died. She was awesome, and without her, we wouldn’t be here. Here’s Bishop Barron on her.
- God’s Not Dead 2 came out April 1st. No joke.
- We never got around to watching Batman v Superman, but Anthony plans on watching it when it comes out on DVD. To him, it looked like it had hints of Superman: Red Son, The Dark Knight Returns, and of course The Death of Superman. Brandon, meanwhile, refuses to watch anything by Zach Snyder.
- Both Anthony and Brandon’s wives celebrated birthdays. Yay.
- Brandon’s son had a birthday too, and Anthony realized that it was the same day as his son’s baptism.
- Oh, and Anthony and his wife just celebrated their 5th Wedding Anniversary. Double-yay!
- Taxes had to be done. Yuck. Maybe you can figure out a better way?
- College Humor did a skit on The Church For People Who Are “Spiritual, But Not Religious”. (warning: language)
- Haters gon’ hate, but Amoris Laetitia dropped and we both agree it’s amazing. Read it leisurely and digest it; don’t rush through it.
- The guy who played Admiral Ackbar and Bib Fortuna died. RIP, Erik Bauersfeld.
- A lot of stuff happened around SSPX this month: Pope Francis met w/Bishop Fellay, Pope Francis Validates SSPX Confessions Beyond Year of Mercy, and more. We’re quietly optimistic. (And continuing to hope that once things are normalized they’ll drop the attitude.) (more info on SSPX here)
- We both really want Star Wars Rebellion.
- Senator Bernie Sanders was invited to speak at the Vatican. He spoke about Catholic Social Teaching, specifically on Centesimus Annus. He also annotated a speech by Pope Francis.
- Governor John Kasich would not have signed the bathroom bill. Would you?
- We both wonder what James Cameron thinks he’s doing with Avatar. Does anyone other than him care? They must or he wouldn’t be getting more money for these films, and yet…
- A recent Vatican conference rejected Just War theory. Gutsy… (more on that here)
- Where’s the Magic in Family Dinner?
- We’ve made no secret of the fact that we love St John Chrysostom. Here are some clickbait headlines you can feel free to use to get people to read his stuff:
- “St JC Read Eph 5: You’ll Never Believe What He Said”
- “Eph 5 Reasons You’ve Been Husbanding Wrong. #3 Is a Shocker!”
- “40 homilies on Ephesians: #20 was my favorite”