Hey everybody! Thank you for your patience. Please enjoy another riveting episode of Two Catholic Guys!
This episode’s Church Father is St John Chrysostom.
- 00:00: Greetings, what we’re drinking, funny stories about hot/spicy things, and opening prayer.
- 02:50: Easter Homily by St John Chrysostom
- 06:37: Anthony has been working on a Dominionesque, Patristics-themed card game, so we discuss Church Fathers (including Theophan the Recluse), and Heresies.
- 11:40: Most Ridiculous News Item: Turkish company creates transformer from BMW 3-series.
- 13:01: We discuss the First 2016 Presidental Debate (transcript), and the surprisingly consistent views of Trump on certain topics.
- 15:49: Scott Adams, of Dilbert fame, switched his endorsement from Clinton to Trump because of tax policy. We also discuss another hinge issue for folks, namely, the pro-life cause.
- 19:00: George HW Bush is voting for Clinton. What are the other Bushes up to? What does it mean to be a centrist? Can moderates change the world? Letter from a Birmingham Jail.
- 25:03: NFL ratings falling. NFL Commissioner responds.
- 29:10: PSA: Don’t drill into your iPhone 7! (warning: language)
- 31:31: Indigenous Australians are the most ancient civilization in the world, according to new DNA study. Meanwhile, all we can do is think about Crocodile Dundee.
- 33:57: JEB EXCLAMATION POINT featured in Emmy’s skit. They don’t make debates like they used to. What does the ideal debate look like? Why aren’t candidates just themselves during their campaigns? (See John McCain.) Tangentially, we recommend you read The Mystical Body of Christ (by the Venerable Fulton Sheen) and So You’ve Been Publicly Shamed (by Jon Ronson).
Click here to download the podcast.
Email us at: email@example.com
April was a busy month and we didn’t get a chance to record. Here are some of the things we would have discussed in our hypothetical fifth episode. Enjoy.
- Mother Angelica died. She was awesome, and without her, we wouldn’t be here. Here’s Bishop Barron on her.
- God’s Not Dead 2 came out April 1st. No joke.
- We never got around to watching Batman v Superman, but Anthony plans on watching it when it comes out on DVD. To him, it looked like it had hints of Superman: Red Son, The Dark Knight Returns, and of course The Death of Superman. Brandon, meanwhile, refuses to watch anything by Zach Snyder.
- Both Anthony and Brandon’s wives celebrated birthdays. Yay.
- Brandon’s son had a birthday too, and Anthony realized that it was the same day as his son’s baptism.
- Oh, and Anthony and his wife just celebrated their 5th Wedding Anniversary. Double-yay!
- Taxes had to be done. Yuck. Maybe you can figure out a better way?
- College Humor did a skit on The Church For People Who Are “Spiritual, But Not Religious”. (warning: language)
- Haters gon’ hate, but Amoris Laetitia dropped and we both agree it’s amazing. Read it leisurely and digest it; don’t rush through it.
- The guy who played Admiral Ackbar and Bib Fortuna died. RIP, Erik Bauersfeld.
- A lot of stuff happened around SSPX this month: Pope Francis met w/Bishop Fellay, Pope Francis Validates SSPX Confessions Beyond Year of Mercy, and more. We’re quietly optimistic. (And continuing to hope that once things are normalized they’ll drop the attitude.) (more info on SSPX here)
- We both really want Star Wars Rebellion.
- Senator Bernie Sanders was invited to speak at the Vatican. He spoke about Catholic Social Teaching, specifically on Centesimus Annus. He also annotated a speech by Pope Francis.
- Governor John Kasich would not have signed the bathroom bill. Would you?
- We both wonder what James Cameron thinks he’s doing with Avatar. Does anyone other than him care? They must or he wouldn’t be getting more money for these films, and yet…
- A recent Vatican conference rejected Just War theory. Gutsy… (more on that here)
- Where’s the Magic in Family Dinner?
- We’ve made no secret of the fact that we love St John Chrysostom. Here are some clickbait headlines you can feel free to use to get people to read his stuff:
- “St JC Read Eph 5: You’ll Never Believe What He Said”
- “Eph 5 Reasons You’ve Been Husbanding Wrong. #3 Is a Shocker!”
- “40 homilies on Ephesians: #20 was my favorite”