Hey everybody! Welcome to another fantastic episode of Two Catholic Guys!
We somehow turned on an echo filter when recording, so use your imaginations to picture us recording in a great basilica somewhere.
- 00:00: Greetings, what we’re drinking, and opening prayer.
- 01:09: Most Ridiculous News Item: Vladimir Putin arrested in West Palm Beach.
- 01:49: Donald Trump’s favorability among African Americans is at 0% (just like Mitt Romney in 2012). Meanwhile, according to the Washington Post, a record number of Americans dislike Hillary Clinton. And lastly, Anthony shares his experience discussing Trump vs Clinton on Facebook, and the generational divide in the debate.
- 07:45: Joseph Pearce opines on the American Solidarity Party, and so does Fr Dwight Longenecker.
- 11:08: Fr Dwight chimes in on Mark Shea and Simcha Fisher losing their jobs at the National Catholic Register. We go on a tangent about “blog authority”, converts who catechize, and making people into celebrities.
- 22:33: Apple has been ordered to pay €13B in taxes by the European Union. We discuss the taxing of corporations.
- 26:14: Someone stole a nun’s rosary at knife point.
- 28:10: Gawker.com shutting down — and good riddance! Facebook changes how they show their news, and it’s annoying. Brandon has deleted his Facebook account.
- 31:57: Pope Francis continues his whirlwind reform of the curia.
- 34:39: Mongolia ordains its first native priest — and there is much rejoicing!
- 38:33: Amazon is piloting teams with a 30-hour work week.
- 42:41: burkinis and facekinis are a thing. France has struck down a ban on burkinisfacekinis become all the rage in China.
- 45:32: an insane fan theory has emerged that Supreme Leader Snoke is none other than Mandalorian Bounty Hunter Boba Fett (obviously). We muse on Star Trek vs Star Wars and opportunities that JJ Abrams has missed in his reboot of Star Wars.
Click here to download the podcast.
Email us at: email@example.com
April was a busy month and we didn’t get a chance to record. Here are some of the things we would have discussed in our hypothetical fifth episode. Enjoy.
- Mother Angelica died. She was awesome, and without her, we wouldn’t be here. Here’s Bishop Barron on her.
- God’s Not Dead 2 came out April 1st. No joke.
- We never got around to watching Batman v Superman, but Anthony plans on watching it when it comes out on DVD. To him, it looked like it had hints of Superman: Red Son, The Dark Knight Returns, and of course The Death of Superman. Brandon, meanwhile, refuses to watch anything by Zach Snyder.
- Both Anthony and Brandon’s wives celebrated birthdays. Yay.
- Brandon’s son had a birthday too, and Anthony realized that it was the same day as his son’s baptism.
- Oh, and Anthony and his wife just celebrated their 5th Wedding Anniversary. Double-yay!
- Taxes had to be done. Yuck. Maybe you can figure out a better way?
- College Humor did a skit on The Church For People Who Are “Spiritual, But Not Religious”. (warning: language)
- Haters gon’ hate, but Amoris Laetitia dropped and we both agree it’s amazing. Read it leisurely and digest it; don’t rush through it.
- The guy who played Admiral Ackbar and Bib Fortuna died. RIP, Erik Bauersfeld.
- A lot of stuff happened around SSPX this month: Pope Francis met w/Bishop Fellay, Pope Francis Validates SSPX Confessions Beyond Year of Mercy, and more. We’re quietly optimistic. (And continuing to hope that once things are normalized they’ll drop the attitude.) (more info on SSPX here)
- We both really want Star Wars Rebellion.
- Senator Bernie Sanders was invited to speak at the Vatican. He spoke about Catholic Social Teaching, specifically on Centesimus Annus. He also annotated a speech by Pope Francis.
- Governor John Kasich would not have signed the bathroom bill. Would you?
- We both wonder what James Cameron thinks he’s doing with Avatar. Does anyone other than him care? They must or he wouldn’t be getting more money for these films, and yet…
- A recent Vatican conference rejected Just War theory. Gutsy… (more on that here)
- Where’s the Magic in Family Dinner?
- We’ve made no secret of the fact that we love St John Chrysostom. Here are some clickbait headlines you can feel free to use to get people to read his stuff:
- “St JC Read Eph 5: You’ll Never Believe What He Said”
- “Eph 5 Reasons You’ve Been Husbanding Wrong. #3 Is a Shocker!”
- “40 homilies on Ephesians: #20 was my favorite”
Welcome to the Catholic Guys podcast! Our first episode starts off with the following topics:
- 00:41: Advent vs Christmas – How do we celebrate each one?
- 18:59: Da’esh and the Refugees – What’s the Christian response?
- 39:12: Star Wars: The Force Awakens – Could we be more excited?
Vis-à-vis Advent candles in Panamá, a quick e-mail to my Mom clarified that there they come in 4 distinct colors:
- Purple, for Penance.
- Red, for the Love of God.
- Pink, for Joy.
- White, for the Light of Christ.
Re: the article mentioned about the name Da’esh, the original site is down, but you can still grab it via Google cache.
Nicaea. St Nicholas punched Arius at the Council of Nicaea.
Our good friend, Dr Thomas J. Neal, blogs at Neal Obstat. Check him out.
The documentary we mentioned is I Know that Voice. It’s definitely worth watching.
How to Talk to Your Kids about Star Wars was the article we mentioned that was linked by the USCCB.
Correction: I stated that I’ve been in Ohio for 7-8 years, it’s more like 5-6. 🙂
Click here to download.